The Hispanic Ministry Summer Term at the Lutheran Seminary Program in the Southwest (LSPS) is designed for ELCA seminary students to develop leadership skills in Hispanic Ministry and build a network of colleagues who share this commitment. The first week involves students in the LSPS Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry intensive. Weeks 2 through 6 consist of a weekly seminar with Prof. Jay Alanis and several outstanding guest instructors and contextual education in teaching parishes where students engage in Hispanic ministry under the guidance of supervising pastors. Wartburg Theological Seminary will grant 6 Master of Divinity credits to students successfully completing the course, which are transferable to the student’s seminary.
- To increase capacity for doing Hispanic ministry
- To develop strong cross-cultural awareness and ministry skills
- To engage in Hispanic ministry in congregational settings
- To improve facility in Spanish language
- To build a cohort of colleagues preparing for Hispanic ministry within the church
- May 25-30 - Participation in LSPS Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive
- May 30 - Orientation day for seminarians
- June 1 - Worship in Austin area congregations
- Weekly rhythm - Tuesday/Wednesday seminars, Thursday-Sunday at practicum sites in Austin, Houston, and Dallas
- June 3-4—The Rev. Rubén Durán, Director for New Congregational Development for ELCA
- June 10-11—The Rev. Dr. Gregory J. Villalón, Director of Missional Leadership & Candidacy, Congregational & Synodical Missions
- June 17-18—The Rev. Dr. José David Rodriguez, Professor of Systematic Theology, LSTC
Weekly seminars are held in Austin on the campus of the Seminary of the Southwest.
Tuition is $4860, which includes an administrative fee of $600. Full scholarships are available to cover the total tuition cost of the summer term for ELCA students.
Students are expected to pay their own transportation, housing, and meal expenses. Normally, we expect students to have access to a car for the duration of the summer term.
Housing (inclusive of on-campus rooms, hotels, and homestays) is $2115.00.
A non-refundable housing deposit of $200 is due by April 30, 2014.
Click here to register for housing.
Fill out the course registration form in its entirety. For the course, enter "Hispanic Ministry Summer Term 2014." After clicking "Submit Form," you will be taken to a payment screen to pay for the housing deposit. If paying by credit card, complete the payment form, making sure to select the $200 "LSPS Summer Term Housing Dep." If you prefer to pay by check, you can mail your $200 housing deposit payment to:
Wartburg Theological Seminary
333 Wartburg Pl
Dubuque, IA 52003