Mendota, Illinois.jpg
Degree Programs
 

History

Heritage

Pastoral Practices

Mission & Vision
Sustainable Wartburg
GRAPHIC - Rounded Corner Bottom Left  

Our History

Our Commitment to Forming Valued Leaders

"Where learning leads to mission" describes Wartburg Seminary's longstanding commitment to the mission of the Gospel

and the Church. Wartburg was founded as a frontier mission seminary almost a century and a half ago, serving 19th century

mission needs. Now the Seminary recommits itself to serve in the 21st century At God's Mission Frontiers.

1854 - Wartburg Theological Seminary founded in Dubuque, Iowa.

1861 - Sigmund Fritschel returned from successful European tour to erase all seminary debts andAugusta Von Schwartz returned with him to serve as house mother for several generations of students.

1889 - Wartburg accepted Dubuque's invitation to return to where it was founded.

1916 - The new, efficient, aesthetically pleasing Wartburg dedicated debt-free, designed after theGerman Wartburg castle where Luther translated the New Testament into German.

1932 - St. Paul Luther Seminary (Phelan Park) moved to the Wartburg campus.

1956 - Trinity Theological Seminary in Blair, Nebraska moved to Dubuque and officially merged withWartburg at the formation of the American Lutheran Church in 1960.

1970 - Advent of the ordination of women.

1972 - Denver House of Studies established to provide opportunity for study in urban context.

1974 - Board commits to 10% of student body from global church, Hispanic Ministry Program, begun in Austin, Texas,which became the Lutheran Seminary Program in the Southwest at the inception of the Evangelical Lutheran Church inAmerica.

1982 - Dedication of renovated Fritschel Hall and expanded Reu Library through The Seminary Appeal.

1987 - Center for Theology and the Land/Rural Ministry Program created to strengthen along-standing commitment to the ministry of the rural church.

1988 - Two faculty and the library of Christ Seminary-Seminex officially merged with Wartburg anddeployed to Lutheran Seminary Program in Southwest.

1989 - Denver Court duplex housing for students with families dedicated.

1990 - Long Range Plan places high priority on globalization and mission.

1994 - New curriculum introduced which responds to priorities for depth of faith, missionoutreach and practical congregational leadership. Center for Youth Ministries established.

1995 - New Pulpit Rock apartment housing dedicated.

1997 - Master of Arts in Theology, Development and Evangelism degree established.

1999 - Concentration in Youth, Culture and Mission established.

2000 - Center for Global Theologies established to focus and serve Wartburg's commitmentsto the global church and theology.

2001 - Student residences renovated, Tower addition constructed and geothermal exchange system installed.Planning process initiated that leads to vision, strategic directions and goals Forming Valued Leaders.


Printer Friendly Page Version     
SiteMap Link Contact Us Link Check Email Link
WARTBURG THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
    333 Wartburg Place   Dubuque, IA 52003   Phone:(563) 589-0200   Fax:(563) 589-0333

    Copyright© 2004-2014  Wartburg Theological Seminary    All Rights Reserved    Privacy Policy