- This event has passed.
ELCA Grace Gathering – THE CONVERSATION CONTINUES!
August 22, 2016 @ 8:00 am - September 25, 2016 @ 5:00 pm| Free
Wartburg Theological Seminary, Dubuque Iowa, in partnership with the ELCA’s Grace Gathering, is pleased to offer an exciting opportunity for those attending the Grace Gathering. A free online course in the weeks immediately following the Grace Gathering!
The course, taught by Rev. Dr. Martin Lohrmann, will build upon the central themes from the Grace Gathering with special attention to the observance of 500 years of Reformation in 2017 and living out the freedom of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in service to the neighbor, God’s Work, Our Hands. The course will have three tracks:
- Continuing education for rostered leaders (CEUs available),
- Exploring the Lutheran faith for church members, and
- Integrating faith and life for young adults.
Lutheran Vocation: Discernment & Calling in the Real World
For people looking to continue discernment of God’s call in their lives…
For people in all stages and walks of life…
Dr. Martin Lohrmann – Wartburg Theological Seminary
Aug. 22-Sept. 25, 2016 (five weeks)
With so many voices competing for our attention, how do we learn to listen to the voice of God? In this course, we will cover key ideas from the Lutheran Reformers about vocation and we will sort through some of the leading voices competing for our attention in today’s world: voices that stake a claim on who we should be, what we should value, and what makes us happy. The course will also invite participants to reflect on who they are as beloved children of God and how their daily work matters to the people around them.
- To consider God’s calls to people in the Bible and to us
- To discern the Holy Spirit’s continuing work in the lives of the baptized
- To connect faith with daily life in practical ways
- To grow together in faith as a community of committed learners
Participants will participate in the following ways:
- Read from the Bible and the Lutheran tradition
- Write short personal reflections to share
- Comment on colleagues’ posts, building relationships with other learners
- Develop a project for use in daily life
The Holy Bible
The Small Catechism, by Martin Luther
Other essays will be posted online
Martin Lohrmann, Book of Harmony: Spirit and Service in the Lutheran Confessions (Fortress, 2016) allowing for discussion forums with the author
Week 1: Mary’s call & the needs of the world
Week 2: Gideon’s call & God’s guidance
Week 3: The call of Abraham’s servant & the surprises of grace
Week 4: Jeremiah’s call & human objections
Week 5: Jesus calls disciples: “Come & see”
This course includes Continuing Education credit for rostered leaders; discounted rates are available for church groups.
For questions about the registration form, please contact GraceGathering@wartburgseminary.edu.